Note: Like most bread recipes, there are a lot of resting/fermenting stages so plan ahead. This recipe makes 1 loaf, serves 3-4 as a side.
Ingredients for biga (preferment):
- 1 1/2 oz all purpose flour
- 1 1/2 oz 110 degree water
- 1/2 t yeast
Ingredients for dough:
- 1 recipe biga
- 6 1/2 oz all purpose flour
- 5 oz 110 degree water
- 1/2 t yeast
- pinch of salt
- 3 T extra virgin olive oil
- 4 T chopped ramps (leaves and bulbs)
- flake salt for topping (Maldon or Jacobsen)
- Mix together ingredients for the biga in a large bowl. Cover and let rest on the counter for 1 hour.
- Mix together the biga, all purpose flour, water, yeast and 2 T of the chopped ramps. Don't over mix, really just bring it together. Cover the top of the bowl with plastic wrap, and rest for 30 minutes on the counter top.
- Sprinkle on the pinch of salt, and gently fold in. Let rest for 30 additional minutes.
- Fold dough. Click the link for an amazing image collage put together by the serious eats fam. Let rest for 30 minutes.
- Place a pizza stone or baking stone in the oven. Preheat stone at 500 degrees.
- Repeat step 4 including the rest.
- Fold the dough one more time. Brush half of the olive oil in an 8 inch springform pan.
- Place dough round in in the pan. Using your finger tips spread the dough to fill the pan. Brush with remaining olive oil. Sprinkle on remaining ramps. Sprinkle on a healthy pinch of maldon. Let rest 10 minutes.
- Place on the baking stone, and bake for 25-30 minutes until nicely browned.
- Cool 5 minutes, remove from pan, enjoy.