- 2 egg whites
- 2/3 cup white sugar
- 1/4 water
- 1 T rosewater
- 1/2 t vanilla
- 1/4 t fresh ground cardamom
- pinch salt
- rose food gel
- Heat your oven to 225 degrees.
- Place egg whites, sugar, water, rosewater, vanilla and cardamom in a sauce pan. Bring up to a boil. Drop in a drop of rose food coloring. Let simmer 1 minute.
- As soon as you turn the heat on, begin whipping your egg whites to a stiff peak.
- Transfer syrup to a wet measuring cup for easier pouring.
- Turn kitchen aide on high, and slowly drizzle in the syrup.
- Whip until a thick, satiny, shiny meringue forms. Should hold a shape.
- Place a star tip in a piping bag.
- Mix 1/4 cup of your meringue mix with some rose food gel until its a deep red.
- Paint a stripe of the deep red into the bag. Fill the rest of the bag with the pale pink meringue. Pipe onto parchment paper. Alternatively use a small ice cream scoop, and dollop into round cookies.
- Place in the oven for an hour and a half. Then turn off the oven, leaving the trays in there. Keep the door closed, and let dry in the hot environment for another hour and a half.
Hibiscus sugar and bringing it all together.
- Using a spice grinder blend 1 T of dry hibiscus tea with 2 T of white sugar. Pulse this, don't go too far or you'll end up with powdered sugar.
- Once your cookies are nice and dry, eat a couple. Eye ball the remaining ones, and match like with like size wise.
- Using an ice cream scoop, scoop a dollop of vanilla gelato onto a cookie, and give it a lid.
- Place in the freezer for 1 hour. When you're ready to eat sprinkle on some hibiscus sugar.